Friday, November 28, 2008

Five minute chocolate mug cake

I realise this is going to get me into a lot of trouble here, however I just received the following recipe via email (yes, yes, I know it's cheating, but come on, tell me you don't want to know this!):

Ingredients
4 tablespoons self raising flour

4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Method
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.
Add th
e egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.


Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts(high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!


Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate (if you feel like being proper about the whole thing, but really, you just made a a cake in a mug, it'd be like having a Cup O' Soup in a bowl).

This can serve 2, if you like and are feeling virtuous...


But I doubt it, so go ahead and eat the whole thing on your own and be sure to enjoy it thoroughly.

I'm sure you can play around with the ingredients (for instance, why is the oil in there?), if you do so, please let me know how you go.

Otherwise, you can thank me later when you've
licked your fingers and wiped the chocolate from around your mouth.

2 comments:

WitchOne said...

Oh dear GOD! Ummm, the oil is in there in place of butter for richness, bulk, liquid and, well, probably fat content.

You know, you could use olive oil (extra light because it has the least flavour) and this cake would almost be healthy!

Using 2 tablespoons of sugar instead of 4 will not harm it and I always use vanilla bean paste because it is way better than extract, the paste uses the whole bean so you get all the goodness!

Using an orange essence would make this a jaffa cake, using white chocolate chips would be good and I could go on. My apologies, I've never seen a recipe I couldn't change, regardless of how good it started out!

I have got to try this!!

Melba said...

Oh my fucking god that is the best thing I have ever seen. I got rid of my microwave though. If I could do it in the oven, oh my lord.

Sorry for swearing but seriously that is the best thing I have EVER seen.